Sunday, July 4, 2010

Stretched ... not but stretched thin...

Whew. What a week. I over scheduled, over stressed and over extended myself. It was instructive.

So at the end of this incredibly busy week I ended up at a table, set up outside of my friend's house who lives in Brookfield Vermont (she runs a restaurant there actually) by the side of a beautiful lake. Sun going down. And I gave in. I did not do the indulgent thing last week because I spent that week in NYC and drank some wine so I figured that counted. But tonight, the husband of my friend, who is an actual sommelier wine genius person, offers me a glass of low alcohol wine from Spain. Oh my God, I think. Just say no. But I was too fricking tired. I grabbed it and with it a cookie. The cookie was made by Mrs. Jenny Brown for coffee hour at church this morning and I had been so busy this weekend that I hadn't made anything for the July 4th party. So I bought a plate of gingersnap cookies from Mrs. Brown. There I sat with a big beautiful sugary cookie and a glass of cold wine on a hot July 4th night.

Okay. Time for the indulgence.

It was okay. Kind of made me feel sleepy. And my hands and feet got kind of puffy and swollen.
It wasn't really worth it. The evening with friends and lovely lake and great food (grilled chicken, poached salmon, lots of home grown salad...) would have been enough. The food wasn't on my diet but it wasn't "bad." Be honest. The evening with friends would have been enough. Laughing.

So I'm home and heading out to do my jumping at 8:30 PM, sigh. Don't want to go. I don't mind the other exercises but the jumping feels like penance, like punishment. It's just not my thing. None the less. I do as many as I can. When my knees start twinging, around 450, I slow down and then stop if there is any sharper pain. So far that has worked. I can't keep up with the rest of you but my knees are getting stronger and they aren't hurt.

Wish me luck.

Deb

5 comments:

  1. The evening with friends..... happy time.....
    I don't miss sugary cookies but I do miss glass of wine!

    Your knees are getting stronger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. work that KNEEEE dahlin. You're keeping up just fine and dandy!

    O sugary cookies
    O wine.

    sounds like abeautiful indulgence.

    jumping is less of a punishment the more you do it, truust me.

    Now leg raises. THOSE ARE PUNISHMENT DEFINES

    ReplyDelete
  3. The next time the temptation comes remember the feeling AFTER of "eh, it wasn't all that..." This is tough mental work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. leg raises are the worst! thats great your getting there with the jump rope! ooh a cookie and a wine would be so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you made it through the week! Wine & cookies sound wonderful. :)

    My middle name is Brown, making me a Jenny Brown. I was named after a great, great grandmother on my momma's side.

    ReplyDelete