Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Wednesday Day 44 Halfway


White bleeding hearts in the shade of my friend's porch. True Vermont image.

Halfway.

For someone of my overweightness and general lack of fitness I think this program is going to take quite a bit longer to reach a peak condition place. That's okay. It took a long time to get this way so it makes sense that it will take time to return to my natural body. I never lost the weight I gained in pregnancy (Tara!) and that was 16 years ago. Add working like a dog, under lots of pressure, divorce, single momness and lack of funds... eating becomes a way to get through the day. To distract myself from unhappiness. As a pastor it is an acceptable addiction...I ate my way through troubles. Eating had little to do with nutrition.

But I am headed in the right direction and much faster than I thought I ever could.

I don't see this "diet" changing at the end of 3 months. I really like it. I feel good. I feel more even, although some days, like today, I am quite tired. But I haven't eaten enough protein in the past few days - to be honest. This past week has been very hot and I've mostly eaten tuna fish sandwiches and eggs. Also there has been lots of stress (I love my mother but whew!!).

The diet is becoming simply the way I eat. I am absolutely not tempted by sugar or salt. Or, and this is the most surprising, my beloved cheese. The one thing I miss is a glass of wine in the evening. That is the one thing that is still very tempting.

Well...maybe I'll become a wino.

Exercising... I know I am not as good at it as most people who do this program. I'm simply very unathletic. Always have been. Was always the kid chosen last for every team. (In grade school they would GIVE me to the other side...free...like an extra...) But I am doing, again, much better than I thought I could.


6 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about it taking longer for those of us who were in poor condition beforehand to reach our peak. But that's ok. I'm really trying in these 90 day to figure out a way to make this work for my life forever. I may not reach my peak at 90 days, but I will eventually and so will you Deborah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the point of the PCP, to change the way you think about your food and your body! Keep going and see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a few days last week where I already started freaking myself out about whether or not I'd reach the ultimate of ultimate peaks by day 90. Then I realized that every single day we're probably in our peak condition, we're just getting peak-ier and peak-ier as we go. Also, remember that it's YOUR peak condition; it's different for each of us, and I think that's a good thing to remember. You're good about valuing your own body and your history already - keep going back to those thoughts as a touchstone for the project! I know I am!

    ReplyDelete
  4. le sigh, the one thing i miss is chocolate. as simple as that. I have phantom chocolate mments from time to time. when they make me stock the organic chocolate bar wall, with bc organic truffles and delicious island made bars of sodium free pure dark chocolate, i ache FOR ITT. havent given in yet. wont. ONLY 45 MORE BLOODY DAYS! then ill eat one

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you, Deb -- those of us who were further away from our best health will take longer to get there. A number of people have asked me if I have a goal weight in mind, and my answer is always "My goal is to finish this 90-day program to the best of my ability." And then we'll see what the scale says, how the clothes fit, how the body feels. I keep telling myself that every single day I am being more conscious and doing more than I have ever done. I think you are too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss a glass of beer at the beach.. but I tell myself I had so many glasses of beer last summer so that I can do without this summer for my peak condition. As Elena says we are getting peak-ier and peak-ier as we go without wine, beer or chocolate and push ourselves to get through the workout everyday. We are getting there!

    ReplyDelete