Thursday, August 5, 2010

Appetite

We are now different people. I want to eat different things. It is not an intellectual choice any more - I desire good food. When we started this someone from a previous group had written about their new love for vegetables. Huh, I thought, okay, vegetables. But now I actually look forward to visiting the vegetable section of the grocery. My appetite leans towards vegetables~! And fruits, although not as much. Apples are now obsessive for me- the right kind. Gala. Pink Lady. Must be very crisp. Sweet or very sharp like Granny Smith. But green beans! Which are in season now. And sugarsnap peas. Yum. And little carrots... and onions. Onions can form the basis of a person's diet. And garlic. Avocado? Can we say enough about this tree butter? Corn on the cob (doesn't even need butter and salt..who knew). Cabbage slaw. Asparagus.

Anyway the point is, my whole desire thing has swung from cheese/tortillias/beans/sour cream/ to lean chicken or turkey, tuna and steamed veggie's with pesto or some kind of garlic/onion/lemon base.

I have also discovered sandwiches. Somehow I always avoided them but if the bread is good, and thinly sliced, they can be so healthy! There is this Red Hen bakery multigrain loaf that is to die for. Some tuna with onion (make it california style without mayonaise - just a touch of olive oil, lemon, maybe a little cilantro or basil), layer on fresh tomatoes, romaine lettuce, and it is so great! With tiny carrots and fresh snap peas on the side.

Okay.

It's my birthday. I'm 52 years old. Born in Augusta, Georgia where my father was in the army. Born into heat. One step at a time brought me to this little apartment in Burlington Vermont, my son asleep in the next room, typing my heart out to my compatriots on the journey, people from around the world. And it is, once again, a hot day. Circles.


7 comments:

  1. happy birthday deborah!!

    enjoy your day (in PCP style of course)! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is not only great progress on the food front but GREAT writing. You should do something with this talent!

    Happy Birthday. You've already given yourself the best present out there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday, Deborah! You are an inspiration to me, and to all of us. You are really celebrating in style this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!! Happy Birthday Deborah!! I will be sending you happy vibes all day long. PCP really is a wonderful gift to yourself, and I hope you treat yourself to other special activities today too!

    p.s. I too have discovered a deep love of sandwiches during the PCP. They're so delicious and I always thought of them as calorie bombs before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday, Deborah !

    It's great that we can still change things for better if we decide to do it.
    Your writing is soothing, deep and healing.
    Have a very nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay Deborah! Happy birthday! And, I second Patrick's comment - you're an excellent writer. I always look forward to reading your posts. Thoughtful and eloquent, your words. Enjoy your day!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. happy bday Deborah! hope ya had a great 1!

    ReplyDelete