Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Tuesday and the Hill

I rode my bike downtown again! Wow. Two days in a row. It was even easier the second time. On the way up I did stop at a stop sign and this woman was standing there waiting for the bus. I nodded to her as I was catching my breath. She said, "Wow, I can barely walk up this hill" and then the bus stopped and she hauled herself up the stairs and was gone. She was about 50 pounds overweight and I thought about all that extra flesh that she has to carry around. That I used to carry around. And I was so proud of myself as I pedaled up the rest of the hill.

Yum.

It's a bit nerve-wracking - facing this last week. The exercises are so hard and the days so few. And this strange steady stream of encouragement is about to end. I am planning to continue the program, going back to the second month start and trying to build up my jumping so that in two more months I am at the full level of PCP. I am doing better each day. The shorter rope helps. Pushing myself bit by bit helps. My knees are sore - I feel it going down stairs - and my ankles also have been aching lately. But slowly slowly slowly I am acclimating.


1 comment:

  1. do you have a basket on your bike?!?! im so jealous. I wish i could have a bike here in Madrid, but I have been warned by several locals that this would be suicide. Spanish drivers dont look for bikers, and dont care.

    Re your knees. Apologies for sticking my nose in, Im not sure if you have already looked into it in more depth. I have had many, many problems with my knees, and quite often the primary cause was tight leg muscles. The short, tight and strained leg muscles were effectively pulling my knee cap to the side/down/up (depending on whether it was a tight calf or thigh or whatever) and causing pain and friction. It might be worth getting someone (a physio?) to have a look at it because if thats what it is, focused stretching really really does help.
    I might be way off the mark here, but if it helps, its always good to pass on info!

    ReplyDelete