Monday, August 23, 2010

Monday and the Hill

My activity was biking. It was kind of a wild choice as I hardly ever bike.

Today, however, I dragged out my bike and rode all the way down town which is like 10 miles or something! Hey you big athletic people don't be giving me that "big deal only 10 miles" look. Remember I am not a big athlete. I am a big couch potato. Or I was.

Last time I rode downtown I burst into tears crossing the overpass and then had to walk up the BIG hill (both ways) and then took a big big big nap when I came home and promised to never do THAT again.

Today I am off - flying down the sidewalks. Across the overpass. No tears. Very balanced. I ride RIGHT UP THE BIG FRICKING HILL. I imagine Patrick smiling and saying "Ha ha silly woman I knew you could do it."

I cannot believe how much easier it was. On the way back, the hill is bigger and I admit I stopped twice VERY BRIEFY. (I could hear Patrick saying "Hey woman get on the bike and get up the hill cause baby you can do more than you think you can!!!!!!!!!!)

So I got back on the bike and I did it and I was almost disappointed that it wasn't harder. My legs were looking for more.

So much has changed.

I am still somewhat middle aged and lumpy - it may take some time to get some real sleekness back or it may not come at all. I don't know.

But I feel so different inside.

There is a confidence about the way I move, about what I can do that has changed me quite deeply. Yes I still worry but not nearly as much. I don't think I am going to hurt myself if I push or go fast or something.

Honestly I am still far behind where I could be in this program. I do the exercises but not all of the sets. My jumping is improved but I think it is going to take more time for me to get to the level most of you are at now. That's okay.

I started farther back.

This past year I choose life.

These three months pushed the intensity of my choice much farther than I thought I could go. For heavens sakes this is a program that some of my son's college coworkers are doing!! And yet I signed up.

Life!!!!

Sigh.

Oh and then I got home and found the list of the last week's exercises which are quite ... can I say...medieval torture like in their challenge...


5 comments:

  1. Deborah, I am rooting for you and cheering like crazy as you go up that hill!! What a wonderful image!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life chosen! Every pedal of that bike builds your body and protects the environment. Win win win win win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, thank you for your epic comment. :) Yes, many WISDOM BOMBS as Patrick so elegantly put it.

    And, second of all, YOU ARE AMAZING, WOMAN! Hey, 10 miles is nothing to scoff at...I don't even ride my bike that far to school. :) I'm really proud and really happy for you at the same time. Such great accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it love it love it! You have chosen your life again and it's wonderful to see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go Deborah! thats awesome, hooray for life!

    ReplyDelete