Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Vanity


Oh dear. Took pictures today. Thought if I went out on my little porch in natural lighting it might be better. It isn't! I have lost weight, gotten so much stronger, better cardiovascular health (still a long way to go), gained muscle, lowered cholesterol, and yet I am lumpy and the weight I've lost seems to have left me looking rather....well... older.

Maybe it will take my body a while to adjust. I couldn't even put the other pictures on here. I can see some difference if I look closely, but mostly I see these lumpy thighs and stomach being all weird. My face looks younger, but more wrinkly.

Ah....growing older. Such vanity. So hard for women. So much of our worth seems to be based in our ability to look young and sexy. I've got to face and accept that I am losing and will lose that kind of power. All right have lost it... I don't look to bad in clothing. Maybe I'll take some pictures with my clothes on. Augh.


7 comments:

  1. this is mostly a lighting problem!!
    get near some soft light, mixed with natural light. do you have an off-white translucent curtain? that's what i have in my bedroom, where i take my pictures, and i think it's flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Elena - but the truth is I've simply got to keep at it. Building muscle and replacing the fat that is still there. It's just going to take me some time!

    I have to face jumping. And not be scared of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever heard that comment from Catherine Deneuve, that as a woman ages she has to choose between her face and her ass?

    I can see a big improvement from the beginning of the PCP. You've made tremendous strides and you know what to do. Jumping doesn't have to be scary -- you know you can do it! (And bike riding's pretty good for you too!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Four points.

    1. As Elena said, this is the worst kind of lighting. Anyone wouldn't look their best here.

    2. Have you looked at your Day 1 photo recently? COME ON!

    3. Posting this and sharing your feelings in a healthy and non self-hating way is a big win in itself.

    4. 99.9% of people you meet will only ever see you in clothes, and you've made great changes for the youthful in your face, shoulders and arms!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are four great points from Patrick! Like everyone else said, you've made amazing progress and kept with the program. I can just feel the self-confidence oozing through your posts these days. As far as I'm concerned, that is way more important than physical appearance. Besides, you're body has slimmed so, so much since Day One. I'm proud to have you as a teammate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Deborah, having you in our team means so special to me ( to everyone, of course) because we are the same generation. Thank you for being there.
    You have made a great progress and you definitely look much younger than day 1 !! I don't think we need to look too young but we can be SEXAAAY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ditto what everyone else has already said! You've been such an inspiration to me on this project, Deborah. Both for your physical transformation AND your great wisdom!

    ReplyDelete