Monday, June 7, 2010

Monday Morning So Good to Me

All right. A new start. Knee feeling better. Did exercises - very gently did about 50 jumps.

This is the last day of half. Right?

A great quote from a novel by James Baldwin that I'm reading (Giovanni's Room):
"But people can't, unhappily, invent their mooring posts, their lovers and their friends, anymore than they can invent their parents. Life gives these and also takes them away and the great difficulty is to say Yes to life."

There is so much of life that is not a choice. It is a given. Given.

Within it all, however, within the social and genetic mooring that is set in stone, there are choices. Like that great serenity quote, the trick is to figure out which is which. What parts of our life can be freed up and pushed down the river for the journey, and what parts are permanent.

My body feels so permanent, and some of its qualities are. Skin color, sex, overall genetic structure, height, bone structure. But within that, there are elements that are fluid. What my muscles shape into. What I feel. How my tendons stretch. How I move. Who I become as a result of the health of my body or the lack there of.

Within the givens of my body there are fluidities - choices. This present experience - PCP- is a chance for me to meet the part of me that is open to change. Not to master myself or punish myself. But to begin to know myself in a new way. The journey of my body.

Mooring. I came into this world and was placed in a physical form (one way to look at it). Have I let that form rule me too much? Have I been overwhelmed by the solid nature, the mooring of my body? Who am I within this vessel? Do I have choices? Or have I become lost in here..in this flesh?

Choices. The world of freedom and journey.

I have made the big choice to learn more about this mortal shell. The little choices speak to me moment by moment. My challenge is not to be overwhelmed, or shamed, but to learn and find my way one choice at a time.


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Deborah. I'm going to keep all this in mind...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, beautiful! Great post. I've been thinking a lot about the difference between choices and what we're given, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The way I think of it. Our genetics have given us a certain mold, and by eating well and getting strong we fill in that mold and look how we were meant to look. You can't change the mold, but you CAN fill it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear your knee is feeling better, Deborah!
    As usual, lovely writing here. I'm going to keep these thoughts in mind as I jump tomorrow - thanks!

    ReplyDelete