Monday, June 14, 2010

Sunday the 13th day

Such a busy day I forgot to post!

First - missed breakfast due to hectic circumstances.
Second - big day at church...baptism of gorgeous baby...complicated service...hectic
Third - invited over to lunch.
Fourth - hectic running back across the state to get son and all that.
Fifth - hectic and nerve wracking day working with my son on his big presentation for Monday.

So. In the incredibly hectic and driven day of Sunday, the 13th, how did I do?

Pretty damn well if I say so myself.

Food -

Madly grabbed a scone at this bakery on the way to Williamstown. (not so good but at least I didn't go completely hungry as usual)

Did not eat any of the sugar laden coffee hour offerings downstairs after church.

Went to lunch where they made the most healthy fabulous salad, turkey sandwiches and drank lots of water.

Had an apple in the afternoon. And a long nap.

Had a tuna/watercress sandwich for supper. Ate the entire can of tuna. Yum.

Exercised and jumped 350 jumparoonies with little or no knee pain.

Sleep like tired baby.

So. Not perfection but we are not going for perfection - we are going for peak. I did pretty well within a stressful, performance laden day.

A poem by Mary Oliver for this little group who is on the journey together. (Royce - your recent post about the naysayers brought this to mind.)

The Journey

One day you finally knew
what you had to do, and began,
though the voices around you
kept shouting
their bad advice--
though the whole house
began to tremble
and you felt the old tug
at your ankles.
"Mend my life!"
each voice cried.
But you didn't stop.
You knew what you had to do,
though the wind pried
with its stiff fingers
at the very foundations,
though their melancholy
was terrible.
It was already late
enough, and a wild night,
and the road full of fallen
branches and stones.
But little by little,
as you left their voices behind,
the stars began to burn
through the sheets of clouds,
and there was a new voice
which you slowly
recognized as your own,
that kept you company
as you strode deeper and deeper
into the world,
determined to do
the only thing you could do--
determined to save
the only life you could save.

© Mary Oliver

3 comments:

  1. :) Beautiful poem, Deb. Thanks for posting it!

    I can totally relate to your hectic Sunday. After the pump blew, it was an intense day trying to get everything done...I almost didn't eat all my grams b/c I just wasn't hungry. So busy. So hot! But, I forced them down. And, how I would have LOVED a bowl of vanilla ice cream with dark chocolate syrup to end my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No knee pain! Sounds like the leg is shoring itself up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb I am a HUGE Mary Oliver fan! This is one of my favorites of hers, and it really relates to this Peak journey we're on, you're right!
    Right now I'm on an Ezra Pound frenzy and have been reading Lydia Davis which isn't poetry per say but kicks some real short story butt.

    ReplyDelete