Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Day One

Taking the pictures. Oh my fricking God...as we Vermonter's say. What an ordeal. Setting up tripod. Finding something to wear that actually shows my enormous girth and middle aged middle. Oh my God. Then click click click and the moment of truth. I mean, I know what I look like. It's not a big surprise. But I can see that having to take a picture every week is going to be incredibly motivating. Accountability.... And hopefully if I start looking a bit more firm - there will be some pleasure at comparing this Day One lumpy body with a day 90ish not so lumpy body. I must remember that I'm lucky that everything works. And that the reason I have such a big stomach is that I had a baby - and lots of operations as a kid which kind of left me protecting my middle - over protecting it from actually having muscles.

Eating half today wasn't too hard.
I haven't done the exercises yet. I'm going to be honest about that. I'll go do them after I post this. I sent the picture and my weight - 165 and 5'7". I don't have a jump rope so I am using an extension cord. I am feeling pretty much of a mess and I guess that's a good place to start.

But out there, in bright little spots across the globe, are my companions. With their zucchinis and martinis and teaching Japanese and riding bikes through NYC and they are starting with me. We're leaping self-consciously off the cliff. Hand in hand.

4 comments:

  1. Deborah, I had so many "oh my god" moments when I looked at my day 1 pictures too! but you're right, it's going to be great motivation! and then we're going to love those pictures because when we're at the peak we'll see how far we really went.
    Also, I think you using an extension cord for day 1 jumping is my favorite PCP image so far - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha love this!
    I felt like a mess this morning too, stayed in bed like 2 hours longer, then finaly dragged myself to my living room to do the excercises. MESSSS!! bUT IT All went beautifuly. TO DAY ONE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leappppp!

    Yep, I'm with you on the pictures. Having a baby really changes your body, doesn't it?? I got right back down to my pre-baby weight pretty quickly, with very little effort, but things are just...different. The belly is the toughest -- I always had a relatively flat stomach but the baby is almost 2 now and the belly is still stretched out. Yikes! I resisted my impulse to suck in and tighten up on the Week 1 photos -- I want my Week 12 photos to look awesome!

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yes! We're leaping self-consciously off the cliff. Hand in hand.

    Gambatte (which means Hang in there! in Japanese)

    ReplyDelete